Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Shrek: The Musical at the Kentucky Center

What has happened to me?

When I was in high school, I was crazy about musical theater.  I couldn't/can't carry a tune, but I was a hardcore dancer so there was always a place for me in every musical production. I either mouthed the words or sang softly as a member of the chorus, but if there was a dancing part... that was mine.

In college I transitioned into straight drama.  Directed OTHELLO my junior year of college.  Stage managed theater a bit.  Did a bit of acting work.  But by the time I graduated college, I thought I had figured it out:  I love plays, but musicals are dumb.

And I've carried that banner ever since: plays = good. musicals = silly.

But this year, the Broadway Across America folks have changed my perspective entirely.  I fell in love with LEGALLY BLONDE, I totally dug JERSEY BOYS... And perhaps most surprising, I thought SHREK: The Musical was adorable and absolutely fun.

SHREK is here in Louisville til Sunday. If you liked the movie, you'll love the musical.  The dragon alone is worth the price of admission.  I was worried that it would be a Disney-on-Ice-style production aimed at kids with tween-level jokes, but it's even more sophisticated and "adult" than the movie at times.

Go. Take the kids. I'd expect that kid ages 10-15 would be totally tweaked by the production.  But you really need to be an adult to get all the best jokes.  As I said, Carrie Compere as the Dragon, is worth the price of your tickets... and her curtain-call dress may be the best ball gown/red carpet dress ever.

Who knew? Right? Maybe I was wrong all along?

No comments: